There are many things that contaminate water but one contaminant is ever worse than others. The contaminant in question is chlorine. It’s a chemical usually added to water in order to purify the element and kill microorganisms, including waterborne pathogens. Despite the fact that it is used to purify water, it, unfortunately, has a number of harmful effects.

For starters, when you do a chlorine treatment, there is no guarantee that the water that comes out of your faucet is totally free from harmful microorganisms. Chlorine itself is a chemical of many uses. It can be used to purify and disinfect water or even used for bleaching. It has been used since the 1800s and in 1904, it even became the standard chemical used for water treatment. 

The shocking fact is how chlorine is used not because it is the safest means of disinfection. It is not the most effective disinfection chemical either. In fact, it is used because it is the cheapest means of disinfecting water. There are a number of staggering effects the chemical has. For instance, drinking water contaminated by chlorine is the equivalent of drinking water containing bleach.

Chlorine is unquestionally dangerous as even an exposure to a small quantity of this chemical, whether in liquid or gas form, can prove poisonous to humans. It is worth noting that drinking water contaminated with chlorine also increase risks of cancer or cell damage. In its gas form, chlorine can cause breathing difficulties.‎

The fact that swimming in a chlorinated pool can increase the risk of asthma shows just how chlorine can be. Imagine drinking water that has the chemical in it. Dr. Joseph Price has even confirmed that drinking water contaminated by chlorine can even cause cardio-vascular problems. The fact that chlorine causes water to have odor and bad taste just makes it even worse. All of these facts mean that you should think twice before using chlorine as a solution for your water disinfection problems.